Don’t you just hate it when you feel you’ve come full circle, only to find yourself in the same mindset over and over again? This happens to all of us. Unhealthy patterns can form without you even being conscious of it and they can prove to be difficult to transform. However, it’s always the first step towards making a transformation that’s the most difficult. But once you get started, you’ll build both confidence and momentum.
With a proper focus and willingness to shift your unconscious patterns and move past them for good, you’ll find that you can overcome any unhealthy pattern. Then you can choose to release that pattern and move forward with new clarity and intent.
Transforming Unhealthy Patterns of Behavior
Before you can tackle the problem of releasing your unconscious patterns, you’ll need to be mentally (and emotionally) prepared to detach yourself from the pattern. A strong and healthy mindset allows you to tackle almost anything!
Keep these tips in mind as you prepare to transform your patterns:
* Get organized by figuring out the pattern you’d like to transform.
* Start small, with one pattern at a time. Trying to transform too much at once can overwhelm you.
* Decide that you truly want to change. If you don’t want to change, you simply won’t.
* Don’t judge yourself. If you make a mistake, get back in there and keep trying.
The key to permanently transforming an unhealthy pattern lies in being able to replace it with a new mindset. If you engage in an unhealthy (or unwanted) pattern and decide to simply stop entirely, it can be incredibly tough. You might be okay for a while, but chances are you’ll find yourself back to your old methods in no time.
Try some of these situations for creating new mindsets to help transform unhealthy patterns:
1. Exercise. Exercise is always an excellent way to fill your time and try new things. Exercise can make you less likely to overindulge and help you battle addictions as well. Instead of just trying to refrain from the addicting activities, you’re actively releasing your excess energy while enhancing your fitness not only physically, but mentally and emotionally too.
2. “Being social” and other excuses. Sometimes we say that our patterns appear in social situations only. It’s true that we’re social creatures, but certainly you can be social in ways that aren’t detrimental to your health! Change your routines to avoid any unnecessary temptation. If you are finding yourself in a major rut, here are some ways to keep hope alive as you move your way through transformation.
3. Taking action. Your solutions don’t have to be conventional or from a textbook, but they do have to work for you as an individual. Make the move to empower yourself. Strive to take action and stay the course, even if you stumble from time to time. We all do. It’s what you do once you pick yourself up that will surge you forward beyond where you are stuck.
Fulfill Your Needs
You must do everything in your power to learn to fulfill your needs in a healthy way – this is paramount. Chances are you’ve developed an unhealthy pattern because of an underlying or unconscious need. Do your best to dig deep and shed some light on that which is unconscious within you. Work to identify this need and find positive ways to fulfill it – this is the epitome of transformation.
You might need to do a little soul searching in order to find the true underlying causes for your patterns. If you have a bad habit of grinding your teeth at night, you might need to ask yourself why – this often has to do with anxiety or suppressed anger. Taking an action like wearing a mouth guard is one thing, but maybe you also need to take action to get to the root of your stress!
You might engage in many negative actions because you don’t feel needed and loved the way you know you deserve to be. This is the root of the problem that we often ignore. Masking the pain with self-destructive habits is clearly not going to solve the issue. Instead, discuss your concerns with family, trusted friends or a health professional and be proactive in solving it. Holding sacred space to help you find some closure as you move forward can be very empowering.
Following these tips to help you transform your unhealthy patterns will definitely take some time and effort, but the benefits of a happier and healthier life are well worth it! You are worth it.